here comes the bride...

After the hustle and bustle of the rehearsal, the real wedding day arrived on Saturday! We had time to play with the kids all day and get a ton of errands done for the reception, and then it was time to clean up and arrive at the church. Lenora and her sweet bridesmaids were getting beautiful before the ceremony....



...and Leah had a blast being a part of it all...
The boys got their flowers pinned on, and looked quite dapper....

mommy and Leah got to take a mother/daughter picture!
Then it was time for many pictures before the ceremony began!

We had to go hide in the basement while the guests arrived, and you can tell who started to lose some steam...

But then the ceremony arrived. I have no photo evidence of this, because I was too busy keeping my boys from ruining the whole thing. Leah stood up front, but the boys sat with us on the front row (wise decision). It was tricky, but we got through it! Guess what my secret weapon was? Marshmallows! Each boy had almost 20, but it kept them quite, AND there were no stains on their white shirts, AND no crumbs, AND no crunching noises.... I know, I'm brilliant...

The ceremony was splendid. Something that made this wedding extra awesome was the story. You know, the big story... the way these sweet young people (I feel old calling them that... but it's true... sigh...) came together as a couple. They met in a band, and then both were a part of our faith community, and you really can't find two nicer, gentler, sweeter people. But they both come from some difficult life things (their stories to tell), and they choose every day to see the positive, to lift up their eyes, and to find the good in people. They are re-writing their story. They are making a new way, a better life, and they are starting with their marriage. I find this incredibly beautiful and redemptive and hopeful... not to mention their friends who gathered around them to give them a gorgeous celebration. They, and the community we're lucky to be a part of, are really remarkable people. We're sad to leave them all!

During the ceremony this was read by our dear Suzanne, who is famous for her poetry readings:

Love (III) by George Herbert
Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back,
Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack
From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning
If I lack'd any thing.

"A guest," I answer'd, "worthy to be here";
Love said, "You shall be he."
"I, the unkind, ungrateful? ah my dear,
I cannot look on thee."
Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,
"Who made the eyes but I?"

"Truth, Lord, but I have marr'd them; let my shame
Go where it doth deserve."
"And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?"
"My dear, then I will serve."
"You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat."
So I did sit and eat.

And so it all ended, and the real FUN began at the reception! Of course, we needed to take another family photo to document our cleanliness... and the fact that we do, actually, have some pretty clothes... :)
We were trying to get a fun little head-circle photo but you can see how well that turned out... cute nonetheless!
And then my children proceeded to party and dance for 3 straight hours. It was beyond fun, but I also got a glimpse of their college years and partying potential... I am slightly frightened by their party-animal ways...
The amazing bride and groom...
Ah weddings. They give us all hope... for the future, for their love, for our own relationships. That's really the reason I'm sharing all of this here, I suppose. It's nice to be reminded of all this. This beauty and joy that exists all around us... that we can see every day if only we open our eyes and our hearts a bit wider. I hope it encourages you the way it has encouraged me.

Tomorrow I'll write about the other wedding we attended this past weekend. Another story that refreshed my soul and stirred my desire to live more purposefully every day.

Comments

Popular Posts