good news and a sad day

first for the good news.
I got in... to snooty school! It is an exciting time. I won't name snooty school, because you might feel the urge to throw tomatoes at your computer screen upon seeing the name, and I wouldn't want you to ruin your computer. Despite the snootiness, it has a seriously awesome nursing school. so I feel very happy and blessed to be able to go there. Now I await financial aid. So if the gods of scholarships are reading this, I'd love a little help there.

By the way, snooty school's prominent school color is royal blue and they have an annoyingly successful basketball team and they might have a chapel that looks like this:
So. yes. Exciting times, but hard for a person who has been raised to dislike snooty school to admit that she's really, really excited to go there. Ahem. For nursing. that's it. Maybe someday I'll wear a sweatshirt, but then I think I might get disowned by my entire extended family (except my uncle- he went there for business school).

Anyway, life is full of happy and sad, no?
Yesterday we said goodbye to a dear friend. A lady who took care of me at the dance studio for many days a week throughout my middle and high school years. She kept us going in the right direction, gave us healthy doses of discipline, and sewed our ballet costumes- all of them. I danced and rehearsed with her daughter for so many years. She fought pancreatic cancer with all her might- and lived longer than most do with that disease, because she wanted to really know her granddaughter. She was, and still is, awesome. I will miss her a lot. After her funeral last night they set off fireworks, because she loved them. They also read this poem, which completely displays Ricki's love for all people- all kinds of people. She lived a fantastic life, and she will be missed.

No Difference, by Shel Silverstein (the best of the best)
Small as a peanut,
Big as a giant,
We're all the same size
When we turn off the light.

Rich as a sultan,
Poor as a mite,
We're all worth the same
When we turn off the light.

Red, black or orange,
Yellow or white,
We all look the same
When we turn off the light.

So maybe the way
To make everything right
Is for God to just reach out
And turn off the light!

Comments

  1. I can't believe that Ricki and Annette passed away on the same day. Interesting how life works. Congrats on the acceptance! But I can't say that I am excited about where you are going..my Tar Heel blood just won't let me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria- It is so crazy that they left our world on the same day. They must be having a good old time together :). Annette was such a wonderful lady. I know you will miss her so much! It's comforting to know that they are both in a better place and free from their burdens. And thanks for your congrats... don't worry... I won't be brainwashed :).

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dance teacher, she sounds like such an amazing woman in your life!

    And as far as "snooty school"...that's not so nice to categorize an entire population of students and alumni on some sort of ill-conceived opinion that you were brought up to believe :-) Not EVERYONE that goes/went to "snooty school", is snooty. Come on now, you can call me that if you want to because you know me and all, but it's not nice to just call an entire group of people that ;-) Fight prejudices, right? That's one of your big things, so use this as another practice. The royal blue is quite pretty.

    Anyhow, it really is an awesome and highly regarded school academically, and has an extremely great medical program, so I am really excited for you that you got into it!! Great job! Way to follow your dreams! (and realize you were always a Dukie at heart gag choke ahem).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girlfriend, don't you worry. I thought you knew me well enough to know that I wrote that in complete jest... I was not actually raised to think that seriously, just for fun. Most of my fam went to Ivy League, so we have a huge respect for duke and like to mess around with it's alumni ;). I'm super pumped to go!!! Still might not cheer for the basketball team though... ;)

      Delete
  3. Yea, you wouldn't want to go TOO far now ;-) <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts