we're back

We've been home for a few days now, but no rest for the weary (happy) travelers... kids started school already! Here is a little (big) post to recap our travels. Next summer we will go to zero places (well, maybe a weekend trip or two, and my kids will beach it with my parents), so this summer was super special. Next summer I will be in class or at a hospital every day, all day. Almost. Anyway, we savored this time away. It was fantastic! I'm considering what to do with this blog. As you probably know, I have a whole lot more to say than what I've said here lately. I love to write, and I love to write honestly. Sometimes, though, it's good to be quiet. Sometimes I don't want to invite the criticism or even the praise. So we'll see. It could become my "therapy" as I work my way through school over the next 16 months. Is anyone still reading? I know I have 3 friends reading and some parents and grandparents. So that's good. :)

Moving along to the trip recap:

#1: Nags Head, OBX, NC, with our dearies, the Duncans.
view of the sound, from Manteo

silly boys on our deck. Fearing the storm! :)

beautiful mornings

gorgeous afternoons

Amazing evenings

and so much fishing. ALL the time. They loved it! 
#2: After five glorious days on the OBX, we drove up to see my sister Em who lives outside of DC. She's not really my sister but mostly is. Anyway, her kids and my kids are "fake cousins" and we couldn't love them more... they are the best!
Em had to work, so Zach and I took her three kids and our 3 kids into the city. Because we are brave, and insane. 

It was already 10000 degrees

These kids are awesome. It was so hot and they were so willing to walk and see all the cool sites. 

in awe

the dude himself

cute kids, grand memorial (WWII)

After another massive walk in 1000 degree heat, we arrived to see Mr. Jefferson


hot

amen sister

This was special. I have one African child and two white children. Emily's three children are biracial (she is biracial and her husband is white). Our families would have a MUCH harder time existing if not for our powerful civil rights leaders. 

This is the one pic I took of Em's pool (out the bathroom window). Thank the dear lord baby jesus for this pool after our long hot days... 

SAM :)

The next day we tried to be inside for a longer time. YAY air and space museum! 

Then we got to see my good childhood friend, Jordon! He's a big shot in the Government... 

And he works right across the street from the Prez. So he walked us over to see the residence. Not to shabby.  

The next morning we went to see this

And the new Air Force memorial, which is my favorite, because I grew up at the Air Force Academy. And this was designed to look like it. LOVED it. 

good kids! :)

Saluting lessons with Aunt Emily. Who is a badass Colonel in the USAF

then we went to Old Town and had lunch

pretty girls

I may be okay with having 6 kids, but only if I got to add those specific kids to my brood. Love them :)

Then my friend Sally from college stopped by to say hi! Hooray! She is a teacher in DC. 

Oh yeah! And I forgot to mention... saw one of my college roomies and my co-maid of honor in our wedding, Susan! She lives up there too. We both have three kids. WHAT??? :)

That night Zach and I got to go have fantastic Ethiopian food in the city. 

WITH my cousin John and his lovely wife Flo. What an amazing evening! 

And the next day we had to leave. We may have cried a bit. It was the BEST four days. The best. We love our DC family and friends!!! 

Okay this post is getting too long... next destinations will be documented soon. Hope you all are well! Happy Wednesday...

Comments

  1. i read! and i love the honest posts, so my vote is to bring them back :). looks like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys have had such a fun summer! I've loved seeing all your pictures.

    Side note: When I was little, my family went to D.C. and I was terrified that the big Abe Lincoln statue would kidnap and hurt my mom. I don't know why. I was a messed up kid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts