Still certain of nothing: homeschool edition

 Here's a picture of our cute puppy who is eating my house. He even tried to eat staples the other day. Staples!!!! Why are puppies so weird?!? 

Now that the cute pup has gotten your attention (more on him later and how he has uncovered some pretty deep attachment stuff for some of our kiddos), let us remember what I wrote last week about this week being {probably} a disaster. Well, it wasn't a total disaster- older kids have done beautifully and actually really enjoy their online days. Sometimes life hits you with a brick though, a brick of awakening, and that's what happened with my younger two. This whole online school thing isn't going to work. They zoned out, cried, hid, and regressed for 3 days. The stress on them was tremendous and they do not have the same secure developmental backgrounds as other kids. I will move heaven and earth to make sure my children feel safe and whole. I will abandon any expectation, and way I'm "supposed" to be, in order to help them be successful. They are my number one priority. 

Therefore we have reopened our homeschool for the littles. My friend of many many years, and someone who has homeschooled her kids for a long time, is a teacher, and is familiar with all kinds of learning differences, will help guide us. I will continue to work from home, and if I need to change that situation when the time comes, I will. Because I've done it before and I'll do it again. These young lives are worth every sacrifice. I recognize that I am extremely lucky to be able to make this choice and that I will be judged hard for it by many. And the wonderful thing about the personality God blessed me with is that I don't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks about my choices. My kids are more important than anyone else's opinion. back in 2016 I quit my (awesome) ER job to take a more regular 5-day-a-week job to be with my son who was struggling. We homeschooled him for a few years to help him through his rough patch, and now he is thriving. I know it can work. COVID has forced my hand once again, and it only took three days for me to clearly see what needed to be done. 

Consider this your permission to CHANGE. Do it. Do what's best for you, your kids, your family. You have been given intuition for a reason. Follow it's lead. Take a chance. Be brave. You know what is right. 

"Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them- that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like." Lao Tzu 

Comments

Popular Posts